I Blog Because...

I am a wife, a mom, a servant, a seeker and a follower of Christ. I am blogging to chronicle my own journey with God with the hope to inspire others to deepen their relationship with Him. Perhaps my mistakes and blunders will make you chuckle. Or, maybe, my disappointments, mistakes and learnings will speak to your heart. I often write at night, so forgive the grammatical mistakes and misspellings. This is a place for me to empty my mind and thoughts, with the hope of one day blessing my 2 girls with the raw honesty about life from their mom. I invite you to journey with me and share in my joys and sorrows as I seek to know my Lord. Proverbs 8:17 "I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me."







Twitter

Followers

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Shoe Polish Challenge


While I was putting away shoes in my closet, I thought that I should gather some old clothes and shoes to give away to the needy. I've often done this before, but today, something changed inside of me when I spotted the shoe polish.

I was challenged by two questions which came to my mind:  



1.  Why do I gather the torn, the tattered and weathered articles of clothing or shoes to give to the poor? 

2.  Why do I keep the best for myself?  

I grabbed a pair of black flats that I absolutely loved to wear.  They had been placed in the back of the closet as they had exceeded the "gently worn" look.  Typically, this pair of shoes would have landed in the donation bag for the poor.   However, today, I grabbed the shoe polish kit and I began restorative work on my black flats.   After a few short minutes of depositing black polish into the scratches and gashes of the shoes, along with some buffing, my black flats looked like new again!      

Isn't that great?   So, what's the big deal?  Why write about shoes and shoe polish?   I write because the Spirit had laid a very important decision on my heart.  Do the shoes go in the donation pile or might there be something better for the poor?  

God convicted my heart today that there is something better.   I am keeping the restored pair of black flats and I'm giving away my newest pair to the poor. 

I challenge you to do the same.   Will you keep the best for yourself, or might you give your best away?   Let's rethink what goes in our donation piles for the poor. 

"Love each other deeply. Honor others more than yourselves." Romans 12:10(NIrV)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's such an awesome outlook on servie! It's definitely going to make me think twice about some things. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

that is beautiful Thank you.

I love your blog.

-Ethan Magness