I Blog Because...

I am a wife, a mom, a servant, a seeker and a follower of Christ. I am blogging to chronicle my own journey with God with the hope to inspire others to deepen their relationship with Him. Perhaps my mistakes and blunders will make you chuckle. Or, maybe, my disappointments, mistakes and learnings will speak to your heart. I often write at night, so forgive the grammatical mistakes and misspellings. This is a place for me to empty my mind and thoughts, with the hope of one day blessing my 2 girls with the raw honesty about life from their mom. I invite you to journey with me and share in my joys and sorrows as I seek to know my Lord. Proverbs 8:17 "I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me."







Twitter

Followers

Monday, June 15, 2009

Grocery Store Blessings

Look! There it is, when you least suspect it...a blessing. Jesus is at work in our every day lives, even in the mundane tasks. Oh, if I could just have the 20/20 vision to see Him at work and to experience life with Him, moment by moment! My day began in a hurried manner as I dashed off to the grocery store to purchase sodas for a Children's Ministry Luncheon meeting. I was running behind schedule, battling a headache and fatigue and trying to quickly load the cases of soda in my car. In those moments, when we find ourselves racing against the clock, every little thing goes wrong, doesn't it? The paper carton split on one of the sodas, the plastic bag ripped which held the iced-teas AND the trunk was filled with junk. I barely had room for all of the drinks to fit! Of course, I am now mad at myself for not purchasing the drinks over the weekend As I loaded the last bottle in the trunk with a "huff" and was about to run the cart across the lot to the cart return like a gold medal sprinter, when a woman stopped in front of me. She had the most delightful smile, looked me in the eye and said in the kindest voice, "can I take this cart for you? I'd be happy to take it up with me." I said, "yes, thank you so much for your kindness" and drove off to my meeting...a changed person. You see, the kindness and gentle nature of this stranger reminded me of someone. She reminded me of someone I long to connect with, someone I desire in the deepest part of my soul, someone I desparately need in my life, moment by moment --- Jesus. Life can be hurried and overwhelming at times. We are a task oriented people with agendas, meetings, and a list of "gotta dos" that never seem to end. We can feel as if we are being tossed about the waves in the ocean or that we are close to drowning at times. When we take our eyes off of Jesus and focus on our "gotta do lists" and other distractions this life throws our way, we sink.



I was teaching this past weekend about Peter walking on the water to Jesus. The kids are always fascinated by this story. I mean, come on...someone walking on water! That's cool! The part of the story which resonates most with me is when Peter, "of little faith," takes his eyes off of Jesus. He looks at the wind and the waves surrounding him and he begins to sink. I don't know about you, but I too often sink rather than walk. I get captured and caught up in my circumstances and busyness of life. I love the words in Matthew 14:30-31." Peter cries out, "Lord, save me!" Verse 31 goes on to say, "Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him." Peter took his eyes off of Jesus and focused in on his circumstances. Then, he began to sink.

Even when we fail to keep our eyes on our Savior, He is there to catch us. As undeserving as we are, He is there to rescue us. This morning, my poor time management skills most certainly warranted the stress I felt on that grocery store parking lot. Even though I didn't deserve it, my Savior showed up disguised as an older lady and showed me kindness. She pointed my gaze back on Jesus. I am forever grateful for our loving God!

No comments: